San Diego's Business Improvement District (BID) program is a precedent-setting collaboration between the City of San Diego and San Diego's small business community.
For the past 20 years, San Diego's BID system has sponsored various activities designed to improve business conditions in San Diego's older retail districts.
The seventeen local BID programs organize:
- the City's largest outdoor festivals,
- manage street banner programs,
- provide newsletters,
- websites and business directories,
- generate special marketing campaigns,
- manage public parking programs,
- drive redevelopment activities,
- organize security programs,
- supervise public right-of-way maintenance,
- manage public improvement and beautification projects,
- recruit new business starts,
- and sponsor various neighborhood activities such as farmers' markets and restaurant walks.